Sunday, August 31, 2008

Tuesdays with Morrie

Lemme, take a break from reading Eclipse.(not loving it BTW. Hmp!)

I just finished Tuesdays with Morrie early Wednesday morning and I want to take a moment to absorb the beauty and simplicity of it's story. If you're one of the many people who've laughed and cried reading this book I know you'd understand my urge to write a little review about it. If you haven't please go and get a copy, it's unbelievably cheap and it's worth a thousand times more than it costs.

The story is short and simple but not plain, it has very well achieved it's purpose of being "readable" even for people who aren't fond of reading. It is dissected in short sequences, I find it beautiful that in such brief stories [of how every Tuesday was like] I'm taken so far into every scenario. The room where Morrie is for example is described with perhaps only with a dozen words but it comes out so vivid almost tangible to the reader.

It's perfect how Albom gives us a break from some chapters by injecting anecdotes and quotations after some "scenes". I personally think he wanted to give his readers some time to compose themselves after probably sobbing for minutes, also to show some history between him and his professor without swaying out from the actual story.

The story is well written and it does not give you that unwanted feeling of running to a thesaurus after reading every other word. Albom wants you to focus on the story rather than dazzle you with an array of weird looking 15-letter words. He's confident that the amazing-ness of these real time events is more than enough to capture the readers. And he is right.

This book gave me a whole new appreciation to what used to be trivial things.Ü

P.S: I cried my heart out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read this about 6 months ago..

I like morrie's way of looking at life...

at ang prangka pa..

sana pagtanda ko ganyan ako...

...nagpapapunas na lng ng pw*t sa mga hot nurses. wahaha.

About Me

My photo
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best" -ME channeling the Icon Marilyn Monroe